Pronounced Plan-tr-fash-ee-eye-tus, Plantar Fasciitis sounds quite exciting but commonly known as ‘heel pain’ it can be extremely painful. The flat band of tissue (ligament) that connects your heel bone to your toes can become very sore and irritated so causing you pain as you walk especially after being still for some time.
Our feet are in constant use and abuse and it’s no wonder that the obvious are causes of pain but just to re-iterate
Running or walking on hard surfaces without proper shoe support
Poorly fitting or tight shoes
Rolling your feet inwards as you walk
Problems with your Achilles tendons or calf muscles
Inflammation after repetitive activity such as running or jumping
Very simple and easy but will make a world of difference.
Massage the foot before getting out of bed or standing after a long period of inactivity
Flex the foot up and down 10 times before standing
Use a towel under the arch to stretch out the bottom of the foot. Fold the towel and hold in both hands on either side if the foot. Make sure you knee is straight and gently pull for 10-15 seconds
Check your shoes with a professional to ensure adequate and appropriate support
Acute pain and physiotherapy
For acute pain, ice can be very useful to reduce the pain and inflammation. Use ice for 10 minutes 3-4 times per day. An anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen can be useful.
We’ll be looking to reduce the inflammation initially and to find out the cause of the problem. Not all heel pain is related to the common causes above and it may be something rather more complicated such as a stress fracture.
If you can bring your training shoes or most used shoes to the appointment it will be helpful and orthotics may be recommended. The Physio will work with you to provide a set of exercises for you to use at home to rehabilitate your condition and to prevent re-occurrence. Strapping may help provide you with relief as you recover.
95% of sufferers do recover from this painful problem but the remaining 5% may need surgery.
Unlike other parts of the body it’s not too easy to get around without using your feet!